CQI Q Processing Level 1 - The Generalist
CQI - Q Processing Level 1 - The Generalist
28-30 July 2022
The Q Processing program links processing to flavour and quality in the cup, while teaching the skills to deliberately influence these factors.
The role of processing in the creation of flavour and quality is increasingly recognised. Level 1 of this program is aimed at coffee professionals in the value chain from growers to roasters, and baristas. The course covers the main processing methods and how they impact coffee chemistry and flavour. The 2 day course is delivered through lectures and comparative cuppings. There is a theory exam with a pass mark of 75% to achieve the Q Processing Generalist certification from CQI.
• Introduction: The role of processing within the coffee value chain, from producers to consumers. The history of coffee processing
• Processing methods: The anatomy of the coffee fruit and an anatomy-based classification of processing methods. The impact of processing methods on coffee chemistry. The impact of coffee processing on cup character and a myth busting session. Comparative cupping and evaluation of main methods.
• Coffee fermentation: What it is and what it is not. How fermentation differs in washed versus natural processing methods. Fermentation vs demuciation. A myth busting session. Comparative cupping of fermentation protocols.
• Coffee drying: Why this is often overlooked. Water in a seed and how it is removed. Sun drying versus machine drying and myth busting session
• Challenges and the future of processing: Issues including global warming, water pollution, social and sustainability. Education at the origin and the future of processing.
1. If you cancel your booking more than 12 weeks before the course starts, you will get a full refund.
2. If you cancel your booking more than 6 weeks before the course starts, you will get 70% of your booking refunded. The remaining 30% off your payment will be deducted as administration charges.
3. If you cancel your booking less than 6 weeks before the course starts, you will not get a refund. However, you can use 70% of the initial payment as partial payment to avail of our next scheduled course. The remaining 30% off your payment will be deducted as administration charges.
4. If in rare circumstances Archers Coffee Academy needs to cancel a course, you will get a full refund. Refunds will be made in approximately one month.
5. Paying this fee does not guarantee that you will pass any of the exams scheduled in the course/s.
6. By proceeding with your payment, you agree to these terms and conditions.